Thursday, August 13, 2009

Beginnings

I am always surprised when someone says something that I have been saying for a while, (which feels like forever) and everyone around me goes, "Hey! Now there's something new!" Now, believe me when I say I don't want to be THAT guy. You know, the guy about which every says thinks he knows everything and thinks he is the originator of every good idea. THAT guy.
But I gotta tell you; I believe the Lord uses certain people to communicate to other people, through impressions, feelings, or what you will, and I know that because I have been a recipient of such communications. Well, a recipient and a deliverer. Receiving is easier then delivering, in this case; you just have to swallow your pride. With the other, you have to pray that the receiver has swallowed theirs.
Anyway, last week I was at a Leadership Summit (totally made-up title) by a huge church by the name of, well, lets say, uh, Willow Creek. I won't say the real name just in case there's a copyright thing. Anyway, this pastor, let's call him Bill, says of one of the few best things you could do to let God move in your life, is to just say "Yes" to everything and anything God asks of you.
!!!!
I've been saying that for years! But when Hybels says it, it's somehow gospel!

Seriously; I am so glad he said it.
You see, because of who he is, it was received differently then if it was delivered by a round, brown, old man (me). And really, that's all that matters, right? that the word was preached?

Right.

But that wasn't the only confirmation I received that I shouldn't keep my mouth shut. No, I received a few more.
You see, over a year ago, someone I respected said to me, "You come across as knowing something no one else knows. You say things like you are the only one who's ever thought about it."
I have tried so hard to be cognizant of when I "fill the screen" with myself; I so hate doing that. I do know how to do that, but there is no room for that in the life of an effective worship leader. So when they said that to me, I immediately stopped everything and shut down operations.
From that time forward, anytime I felt impressed to share something beneficial for the edification of the body, I prayed with all my heart that God would pass it to someone else.
Which He did. Graciously.
But during the leadership conference, I heard the Lord say, "OK; time to speak again."
And I have. and will.
Right here on this blog, and in person.
The few times this week I have been impressed to share, I have felt God's pleasure and not my own.
That's where I want to be.


You?

No comments:

Post a Comment